Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I challenge you to...

...to 30 days of Green Goodness!

Jennifer of Happy Foody fame has launched the 2009 Green Smoothie Challenge. Those of you who have been reading my blog for more than a year (so, um, only my family and in-laws since my blog was private until early January '09) will remember my initial posts about green smoothies as I attempted to increase our raw food consumption AND sneak more veggies and greens into Simon's diet.

The whole green smoothie thing went from Peter rolling his eyes at me as I tried to convince Simon to "just try it", to Peter trying one AND LIKING IT, to Peter grumbling and whining if I don't make him one.

Every. Single. Morning.

We've come a long way! But although I've been making them for Peter, I haven't been that good about drinking them myself... especially after my *ahem* postpardum plumbing problems and consequent advice I received about it perhaps being an issue with all the spinach. I began to fear the spinach.

All I really needed was a kick in the pants a gentle nudge back in the Green Smoothie direction. If youre wondering what the heck I'm talking about, here is my inital post and here is one featuring a video of Jennifer making a green smoothing in her super blender (like a Vita-Mix... *swoon* Viiiiiiitttaaa-Miiiiixxxx).

Here are the details of this year's challenge (taken from Jennifer's Happy Foody blog):

We will begin on August 17 and end on September 17. Here is what you are committing to:

  • Drink at least 16 oz. of green smoothie per day (a quart would be even better!)
  • Do some sort of activity every day. This could be an intense workout, or just dancing with your kids around the living room. It could be a 15 minute yoga session or a walk around the block.
  • Add a green leafy salad to your lunch or supper (with light dressing…stay away from the creamier sauces).
  • Stop drinking pop.
  • Cut out all white sugar.
I've got the smoothie part covered. The activity will be easy too. The salad with supper? Honestly, I'd rather have another smoothie! I don't drink my pop as it is (although I've been known to steal sips of Peter's most nights once in a while). The sugar... um... like the sugar in chocolate? And ice cream? And Swedish Berries?? Ouch. That one might hurt, but I know it'll be worth it.

So anyone want to join me? If you haven't tried a green smoothie before, trust me. You can't taste the spinach. They really are delicious. And so good for you. And delicious. LIKE CANDY. If you're looking for more information, recipes, and great testimonials extolling the benefits of green smoothies, head over to Happy Foody's Green Smoothie Challenge post.

And if you covet a Vita-Mix as much as I do -but likewise choke a bit at the $450+ price tag- head over to Jessie Hawkin's blog and enter to win one! I would burst into tears were I to win... that's how badly I want one. (sigh)

Where was I? Oh right, Green Smoothies... Anyone up for a challenge??

10 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about green smoothies for a while, since reading melomeals.com, which show them often. I have spinach in my fridge and freezer. I can do this, though my my month will be 2 days off.

    You'll share your favourite combinations, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to try this. With being preggy and all I need all the spinach I can get. I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very timely post. I've been thinking about making smoothies for my family. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of these and I have to say it's sounding awful. But that means I might just have to try it so I can believe you when you say it tastes like candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds great! We love smoothies in general, but a green one sounds wonderful! Now to buy some spinach and fruit, and I think I'll join in your challenge!

    I agree... the sugar part sounds hardest... I already don't drink pop, and try to work out 15 mins or more per day.

    By the way, I finally went and picked up 30 Day Shred... WOW. I love it! Craziness! I've only done 2 days though... I have yet to do today's workout (oops).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I went through some of the old posts and now can't get the Popeye song out of my head (I'm strong to the finish, cause I eat my spinach....)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find green smoothies to be sweet enough to satisfy my raging sweet tooth so I don't really struggle with sugar cravings anymore. Since I've been drinking 2 green smoothies every day for the last year and a half, I've gravitated towards healthier foods anyway.

    I too covet a Vita-Mix! I have saved up almost enough to get one very soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is absolutely nothing to do with green smoothies:

    amy, you will be glad to know that i have not had a cola in, wait for it... for 175 days!!! the withdrawal was so bad, but i honestly think i will NEVER GO BACK *fingers crossed*!

    lynette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in! Albeit a bit late. Thanks for turning me on to this!

    http://legersathome.blogspot.com/2009/08/you-are-what-you-eat-did-you-know-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reading this a bit late but my husband and I started drinking green smoothies a while ago and we both love them. I won't officially do the challenge but I'm already doing a few things like eating a salad with one meal (have always done this), some sort of exercise (been really trying hard to make sure I keep up with walking our dog...his walks are between 5-6km), and I rarely drink pop. The two things I should do but at this point I'm not ready to do is cut out coffee (I know not on the challenge list but it's bad for me...I love my morning coffee) and sugar...just not ready to cut sugar yet. I don't think I eat a whole heck of alot of sugar but I'm betting I could still cut back. One day.

    Porter

    ReplyDelete

Comments satisfy my need for validation. LEAVE ONE!