Thursday, November 26, 2009

birthday to do list

That birthday post? Still not done. And you know what else has to be done tonight? Here's my list:
And tomorrow?
  • bake four loaves of bread
  • figure out how to make a buttercream icing that will be safe for Simon
  • make a batch of rice crispie cake to form into the turrets of the castle (using coconut oil in place of the butter (yum!) or marg (eww!))
  • get a few last remaining groceries (mostly some more fruit and veggies, salsa, hummus, etc)
  • wrap up the "goodie bag" presents
  • assemble and decorate the cake (and pray it works AND DOESN'T END UP ON CAKEWRECKS)
  • possibly make some Simon-safe crackers if I have time
  • get to sleep before 3am
Think I can do it??

UPDATE: It's after 7pm and my second two garbanzo bean cakes are in the oven. The first two didn't rise very much and two round cakes just weren't going to work. Three should do the trick (with an extra to freeze for when we need a cake for Simon). The rice crispie turrets are done but I fear a child may lose a tooth on one (could it be the coconut oil??). I still have to wrap the goodie bag gifts, charge my camera battery, and then assemble and decorate the whole cake. Not sure about the 3am bedtime yet...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy day!

    The "wilton" buttercream icing that you can make from scratch is only icing sugar, shortening, merangue powder, vanilla extract and water... the only reason to include the merangue is so that the icing will harden a bit so could easily be emited to avoid the egg allergy if you were thinking for the cake and for under the fondant...

    If you are interested in the recipe, it can be found at the Wilton website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes... Amy... I wish you TONS of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I hope you have a lot of caffeine and a babysitter at the ready. Good luck tomorrow!

    I know you are no fan of shortening, but here is how I make fake buttercream icing for the Captain:
    1/4 cup shortening
    2 cups icing sugar
    1 or 2 Tbsp water (1 T if you're making flowers or writing, 2T if you're spreading it on a cake)
    1/2 tsp vanilla

    Whip the shortening with half the sugar. Add the water and vanilla and whip. Then add the rest of the sugar. Colour if you like.

    You can also use orange juice, coffee, or maple syrup instead of the water to make flavoured icings.

    This recipe makes enough for a 9x13 pan or 24 cupcakes -- you may need to double the recipe if you are making a cake with two layers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow...I was ready to whine to someone about everything I'd been doing over the past few days...and how tired I was. Now...I know you trumped my...times 10!

    ReplyDelete

Comments satisfy my need for validation. LEAVE ONE!