Friday, February 27, 2009

Simon: month 27

Only a few days late this month, but to my credit I actually wrote down some things ahead of time that I wanted to remember to mention since some exciting things have happened this month. Namely using 3 out of 4 successful potty learning moments AND blowing your nose for the first time. Since I feel like I'm in some sort of nose and bum wiping purgatory, these are both very exciting developments.


Your letter recognition is really impressive for someone just over two years old (that we have an obnoxiously loud and annoying toy to thank for most of it is besides the point). At the grocery store this last week, you were sitting in the cart making a lot of noise as usual, when I started to pay attention to what you were saying. It went something like this, "M-I-N-I-W-H-E-A-T-S! R-I-C-E-K-R-I-S-P-I-E-S!". You were reading out all the letters on the cereal boxes!


You also learned a new song recently. "Old MacDonald's Farm" has been a favorite for some time now, so it really should come as no surprise to see how much you enjoy "The Wheels on the Bus". However your version is slightly different... it goes like this:

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round, round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
All through the town.

The cow on the bus goes moo, moo, moo,
moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo
The cow on the bus goes moo, moo, moo,
All through the town.

The duck on the bus goes quack, quack, quack,
quack, quack, quack, quack, quack, quack,
The duck on the bus goes quack, quack, quack,
All through the town.

And so on...

A bit of a hybrid of the two songs, and thankfully it's entertaining enough to keep you awake in the car long enough to get home and get some lunch into you before you fall asleep.

You're a very helpful little guy as I've mentioned before. Your newest "chore" is that you've taken it upon yourself to be the one to empty the coffee grinds out of daddy's coffee maker. Since we use a reusable filter, this isn't a simple (or CLEAN!) matter of tossing the filter and grinds into the garbage. Unfortunately you tend to do your best work when I'm asleep... I mean otherwise occupied. I usually don't find out til you come to me covered in coffee grinds to tell me you made a "duper big mess".

Here you are after I caught you having pushed a chair over to the counter to "help" clean out an almost empty jar of jam.



You're normally very good about not putting food in your mouth that hasn't been approved by me or dad. Because of your allergies, there are essentially two food groups in your world: those that are Yummy Tummy and those that are Owie Tummy. Liam can be sitting across the table from you eating a bowl of what-you-know-to-be-very-delicious ice cream, you'll ask for some, we'll tell you no because it's owie tummy and you just accept it. What might elicit a nuclear meltdown from other kids brings forth only a little "awww" from you before you go back to eating your bowl of frozen fruit. Hopefully this will continue as long as your allergies do.

However, this thoughtfulness and levelheadedness seem to end in the kitchen. Abruptly. This morning I was upstairs feeding Andrew and heard you, not just scream (which I'm so used to, I hardly hear it anymore), but S.C.R.E.A.M. I ran downstairs to find you like this:
I still have no idea how you, a) got like this, and b) managed to stay like this and not tip the chair over backwards. It was a kiddie chair so the fall wouldn't likely have hurt you, but the relief on your face when I grabbed you was PRICELESS. I only wish I'd had the camera in hand to make you pose for pictures in that terrified state... cause I would have.

I love you.

~ mum

.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, how I love reading other moms' love letters to their wee ones! (And I have a Simon, too!)

    Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to find an email for you, but couldn't.

    The answer to your question is that the wet-felted booties are the things she's wearing with her viking shoes. I found an online tutorial that that I think will make something similar. I think I wrote about it in my first shoe post.

    On other note, my grandfather grew up in Moosejaw, which I assume is near you. My husband's grandmother was born in Regina. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments satisfy my need for validation. LEAVE ONE!